[games_access] New co-chair for the SIG

Chad Philip Johnson chad at anacronist.com
Mon Mar 18 23:33:47 MDT 2019

Hello everyone,

My name is Chad.  I have been associated with the Games Accessibility
SIG for the past four years.  The majority of my contributions thus far
have involved technical advisement and support for the SIG alongside Dan
and Thomas.  I am very fortunate to have come to know a handful of you
during this time, and I am regularly impressed by the kindness of the
SIG's members and the larger accessibility community to which it belongs.

As Thomas mentioned, I will be taking on additional responsibilities,
alongside Dan.  My background is perhaps unusual, but really no more so
than anyone else's.  I briefly studied Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science at UC Berkeley but left because I am a self-starter.  I
am a programmer and have an affinity for cross-platform technologies.
During the summer months, I manage a Semi-Pro Baseball Club in Northern
California. My work history is comprised mostly of small businesses an
organizations, but I have had brief stints in IT at Microsoft and the
Quality Assurance department at Sega of America (alongside another
member of the SIG).

My interest in accessibility came from a close family friend who is
deaf.  We grew up together and spent many hours playing video games as
children and teenagers.  As a child, I was perplexed by his ability to
frequently challenge me in competitive games.  As an adult, I better
understand the additional focus and tenacity that was required by him to
perform at such a level.

We will be unveiling a new SIG website in the coming weeks--Thomas
posted a message a little while back so some of you have already seen
the "work in progress" version.  More info soon.  Tara and Ian also
knocked it out the park again today with another GAConf.  (Please pardon
the baseball analogy.)

-- Chad