[games_access] Article: Visually Impaired? Use This Sign and Note in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Chad Philip Johnson chad at anacronist.com
Tue Jun 2 21:05:01 MDT 2020

(Via Dan on Twitter)

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/visually-impaired-use-this-sign-and-note-in-animal-crossing-new-horizons/

Excerpts from the article:

-- Reddit user SatisfiedRuby82 has shared helpful Animal Crossing: New
Horizons design codes for a sign and note to let visiting players know
if you’re visually impaired.

-- The note reads, “I am visually impaired. Please come stand by me
before using chat. Thanks.” In terms of why a visually impaired player
would ask for another player to stand by them when sending messages, a
user in the thread explains that, generally, “Instead of being on the
edge of the screen (periphery) the text will show up in the center where
the player is, since in the game your character is always center screen.
This helps for people with impaired vision who might not see the
periphery well or at all.”

-- “The reason why I’m so passionate about this is that it is very, very
rare to find a new game that I’m able to play. There’s probably like 10
games, tops, that I’m able to play by myself independently. So whenever
the blind community discovers a new game, it’s a really, really exciting
thing.” They detail how important the game’s sound design is when it
comes to providing accessibility, and note how even the clams in the
sand make a sound, letting players find the clam after a few tries.

-- Chad