[games_access] GamesIndustry.biz Article on Silver Gamers

Chad Philip Johnson chad at anacronist.com
Wed Jul 8 15:03:01 MDT 2020

GamesIndustry recently posted a good article on Silver Gamers from
Wilhelm Taht of GSN Games:

How to successfully cater to older players
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-06-how-to-successfully-cater-to-older-players

A few excerpts:
//

/In 2018, people aged 65+ outnumbered children under five years old
globally for the first time in history (Deutsche Welle). By 2050, over
16% of the world's population will be 65 years or older (United
Nations). And even as far back as 2012, reports showed us that over 70%
of US disposable income is controlled by individuals aged 65 and above
(Nielsen).

/

/Let's face it: the older we get, the worse our eyesight becomes.
Glaucoma, presbyopia, dryness, age-related macular degeneration,
temporal arteritis, cataracts; these are all there waiting for us as
potential challenges as we age./

/...
/

/It is imperative that you communicate with older players to gain a firm
understanding of how they view and ultimately understand your content.
Don't settle for doing superficial high-level online or in-game surveys,
or polls on social media. Communicate with the players in depth, and
really get to know them./

/...
/

/It can be a challenge to minimize the amount of things we want to say
and make sure the interesting parts get all the attention. Readability
thus becomes something you end up iterating on a lot until the shipping
of a game./

-- Chad